Sunday, March 14, 2010

Same Old Same Old

Chris's sister and her family came in Thursday night on their way to move to their new house in Virginia.  Sam got to hang out with his cousins and did fairly well with the 'new' faces.  We didn't get a ton of hang out time though, because Chris flew to Chicago Thursday night for the weekend to see a concert with old friends.  His sister left Friday morning, which meant Sam and I had a weekend to ourselves...which we thoroughly enjoyed.  We woke up early Saturday and ran a 5K in Forsyth, GA, went shopping, ate lots of bad food together...it was nice.

We went to pick up Chris from the Atlanta airport today.  While we were there, we stopped by CHOA at Egleston and dropped off a little gift for Emery.  She is recovering from her heart transplant slowly but surely.  Chris drove around the block while I took the basket up to the CICU.  I just left the basket at the nurses station and let them take it to Emery and her parents...I didn't want to disturb precious healing time and precious bonding time!  But her newest update is that she is becoming more alert, and needing less pain meds.  She needs to perk up more to eat and get up her energy, but so far so good!

Being up in the CICU was oddly emotional.  I contained my emotions pretty well with Sam and his surgery last year.  But walking those halls today brought a rush of stuff back to me.  The thought of that huge CICU, full of little babies fighting for life...and the thought of my baby being in that line up last year...and the thought that he would be back there again someday...bleh.  It was an unexpected emotional experience.  That hospital is amazing though, and I am in awe of the miracles they work!

~Kathy

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I completely understand the emotions the hospital brings back. We went to visit a friend recovering from surgery a few weeks ago at the hospital where D was born and has had all of his procedures. It was the first time we had ever been there without him (or me) having a procedure...fetal echo, cath, surgery, birth... I didn't realize I would feel such a wave of emotions being there. I totally feel ya! :)

Sam is getting big! He's such a cutie! :)