Tuesday, March 30, 2010

1st Glenn-iversary

One year ago this past Saturday: 
- Sam had problems sleeping and the doctor ordered supplemental oxygen
- A quick trip to the hospital to get the O2 turned shockingly bad, as Sam's supplemental oxygen needs went from .25 liters to 3 liters by midnight

One year ago this past Sunday:
- Sam was intubated so they could figure out why he suddenly needed oxygen
- Intubation didn't help...hours past midnight, his O2 dropped to 32%, his blood pressure dropped so low they couldn't read it, and his heart rate shot up to 220 (human max).
- Sam needed LifeFlight to Atlanta, but it was storming so bad they had to send the ambulance.
- We were told Sam had a 50-50 chance of surviving the hour trip to Atlanta via the ambulance.
- We were told if he survived, he would need ECMO (external lung), and may not be a candidate for life saving surgery.
- Chris drove 100 miles an hour in our car while I rode in the front of Sam's mobile cardiac ICU ambulance from Macon to Atlanta as the sun was rising through the clouds...I prayed the rosary the whole way, and had never felt so alone.
- The amazing doctors in Atlanta's Egelston hospital stabalized Sam in minutes, WITHOUT ECMO!
- Sam was alive, but comatose and on more IV drugs than I thought possible.
- They bumped all surgeries back so that Sam could be first on the caseload of the Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgeon.

One year ago TODAY:
- Chris and I, both literally sick from exhaustion and worry, gave our son one last kiss as they wheeled him through the operating room doors.
- We sat with both of our parents in a waiting room full of people who were waiting on their own miracles.
- Sam came through the operation, the Bi-directional Glenn, with no complications, and even came off the ventilator that same day.
- The first time we saw Sam, he was pink from head to toe...something I have decided only a heart family can appreciate the feeling of.

Today, our Sam is just like any other kid on the outside, with the exception of his scar.  On the inside, he is stable and healthy.  It is hard to believe he was so sick just a year ago.  Sam brought many many people throughout this country and even the world to God in prayer, and together with God we all got to see a miracle.  I can't thank everyone enough for the prayers and support we have received, even before Sam was born. 

I think it took me a while to 'bond' with Sam after he was born.  We were so scared about his heart and about his future that we didn't live in the 'now'.  If there is one thing Sam has taught me, it is that we only really have 'now'.  I had no idea what kind of gift I had been given in Sam until it was ALMOST taken away, and then given back to me!  The second they told us he only had a 50% chance, I knew I could not live a second without him.  And I can tell you that I cherish EVERY second with him...even the ones when he is cranky, crying, and throwing food off the table. 

Happy 1st Glenn-iversary Sam!  It is certainly a day we will never forget!

~Kathy

10 comments:

Christi said...

Okay-- this made me cry, cry! So proud for you and your Sam!! What an amazing show of God's mercy and healing hands!

Melissa said...

This is such an emotional recap for me too. It puts me right back in the moment. I thank God everyday for our boys and the amazing people he has put in my life since! Thanks for sharing and it was great seeing you guys in Atlanta!

Kristin and Blake said...

Okay, you brought me to tears too! I can't believe it has been a year already since his surgery. Sam is such a strong little guy! So glad he is doing so well!

the Mosi said...

God bless all of you!

Anonymous said...

Some day Sam will understand just how very much he has meant to so many people....and just how very hard they prayed for him, and still do. You are a very special little boy, Sam. God has big plans for you. We love you so very much.
Nana and Pop-pop.

Shannon said...

Tears here too! Wow! What an emotional few days you all had! Sam is an amazing little guy...and a cute one too! :)

Wodzisz Family said...

I think it is unanimous...tears all around. What an amazing few days you had and to think how great he is doing today...you are BLESSED!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sam, You have been surrounded by a family who has loved you and prayed for you daily. In the wee hours after receiving the call from Christian about the 50% chance the family gathered together in prayer that has never ceased even to this day! Aunt Shannon,Uncle Mark and all did what we knew to do that night and that was pray. God was there with your Mom and Dad his arms surrounding you for us. We thank him everyday for the gift he has given us all! You are a beautiful testiment to Love of a family and Prayer and Belief in God! We love you very much.
Pop and Ya-ya

glenna said...

There isn't a day that I forget to be thankful for the precious moments in my life. The daily struggles of a family with a child in need of much medical assistance couldn't be possible without the prayers and assistance of our family and friends, not to mention excellent health care providers. It reminds me to be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I have kept up with you and Sam through Catherine before Sam's birth till now and catch up on your blog weekly. As with Amelia's blog, you will probably NEVER know how many have followed and will continue to follow Sam's progress. So continue to keep us informed with daily postings, sprinkled with a few beautiful pictures of one of God's little miracles, for us to adore. We will continue to keep Sam and his loving parents in our prayers.
Love, Amelia's Grammy

Jen said...

I came across your blog from my good friend Stefenie Jacks. I love your blog- I signed up to follow! :) Our son Andrew has had 2 open heart surgeries also. I always enjoy meeting other heart families as we share a common bond. I look forward to following Sam's journey.

Jen
www.thehuegelfamily.blogspot.com