Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Poor Pinky's Finger

Sam had a bit of an accident last friday.  While at daycare, he got his 4th finger rocked on by one of the workers in the rocking chair.  They called me at work and told me he was calm and not crying anymore, but that his finger was 'really bruised' and his nail was probably going to come off.  BUT when I got to daycare, I couldn't even tell what finger it was...there was only just the slightest blue in the middle of the 4th fingers nail.  I told the lady I understand they have to report incidents to me, but to not worry too much about bruises with Sam.  He's on Asprin and he is going to bruise super easy, and I don't want them to make a big deal over it everytime it happens.  I called his Pediatrician anyway, and they said just to watch it and call if it looked worse.

Over the weekend the tip of Sam's finger slowly turned more blue.  Yesterday it got very red.  Today, the finger nail looks yellow-white, and there is a slight bit of fluid coming out from under the nail.  The daycare called me again just as I was getting off work to say they thought it looked more swollen this afternoon.  So I picked up Sam and headed to the pedi for an eval. 

I told the pedi what happened, and told him I was most concerned about a compromise to the circulation in the tip of the finger, since Sam's oxygen levels are already low.  He did a good investigation and said the circulation looked intact, but the nail bed is starting to get infected.  He prescribed an antibiotic.  But he said if the swelling and reddness did not go away in the next three days, that we may have to have it xrayed.  He said if it's broken, Sam may have to have it pinned.  Ugh.  But Sam is using it, and it doesn't seem to be bothering him so hopefully it's just an infection.  The pedi said Sam will be more prone to infections in scenarios like this because of his low blood oxygen.

I guess Sam was mad about having his finger busted at daycare.  He decided to get even.  I got a report that Sam bit another kids finger at daycare Monday.  Eye for an eye, right?

~Kathy

PS: Emery's pressures are high.  They are trying a new, rarely used technique to get rid of all antibodies to avoid rejection.  Please pray.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor pinky finger.....Sam, here's a kiss for that linger finger... XXX.
Love, Nana

Anonymous said...

What a little trooper!

Shannon said...

Poor Sam! :(

Praying for Emery. Keep us updated!

Stefenie said...

Poor guy! Daycare can be rough!

Hope everything heals quickly!

Melissa said...

Poor little Sam! Hope the antibiotics do the trick!!