Monday, June 29, 2009

Sam Has a Girlfriend!

We drove to Mobile on Thursday for my dear friend Kathryn's wedding. When I picked Sam up, his teacher told me he has a girl friend! Apparently a little girl who is a few weeks younger than Sam was playing with his toes. Then a few minutes later they were holding hands! Adorable!

Kathryn's wedding was great! Sam came to the ceremony and a few minutes of the reception. He got to meet our friend's baby, Charlie. He JUST missed meeting his future wife, Shannon. Both babies are just a few months old, and Sam looks like a grown man next to them! Fun was had by all, and even though it was super hot, it was a wonderful ceremony and perfect reception.

I would be writing more detail but my mind is too busy. Just recently, I have been reminded over and over how lucky Chris and I are to have Sam, heart defect and all. I have had two people in my extended circle of acquaintances who have lost perfectly healthy babies in the 9th month of pregnancy. Today, a Hypoplastic LEFT Heart baby that I have been keeping up with died suddenly. I don't know how you go back to living your life after such losses. I don't think I would have been strong enough. When the doctor gave us a 50/50 chance for Sam just before he was rushed to Atlanta by ambulance, I told Chris I would die if Sam died...and I meant it. I can't stop thinking about these families and how they are supposed to go on...how do they go back to work, how do they come home to a house full of baby toys, how do they get out of bed? Having a chronically ill baby is NOTHING compared to losing a baby, and I've been close enough to know the difference and to feel just a fraction of the pain they must be feeling. We are SO blessed to have Sam. Even with a rough future ahead, I KNOW we are the luckiest people alive to have him with us. Chris and I feel like we KNOW this...other people with healthy kids THINK they know they are lucky or blessed. We KNOW because we have been to the edge and back. Please say a prayer for these families and families who have been through similar experiences.

~Kathy

No comments: