Monday, August 3, 2009

An Interesting Friday and Redeeming Weekend














Last Friday, around 4 am, Sam woke up crying. He rarely wakes up crying, so I went to check on him. He had a dirty diarrhea diaper, and I guess it burned his little butt cheek a little. I changed him, got him a bottle, and he happily went back to sleep. When he got up in the morning, I went to change him again. He was dirty again, but this time there was a hint of blood in the diaper. Chris and I debated what to do, since I knew the daycare would NEVER keep him with diarrhea, especially with blood present. 5 min later, Sam made another diaper. This time it was MOSTLY blood. We freaked out.

We called the doctor, but the office was closed. Their nurse answering service took our information and determined it wasn't an emergency but that he would need to be seen ASAP. She confirmed my two fears: this could be resultant from Sam's aspirin therapy, or a bacteria like C. Diff. The latter runs rampant at my hospital on occasion and I would probably quit my job out of guilt if it is C. Diff.

We got an appointment and took him to the Pedi. She said that since he is eating fine, sleeping fine, acting fine, and was happy, it is probably a milk protein allergy. I find this hard to believe. She wants us to switch to soy formula for a while. She also sent us to the main hospital to get a stool sample cultured, so that we can rule out the C. Diff. Sam acted fine the rest of the day, although he still had the diarrhea with the occasional blood spot. We tried the soy...Sam's not a fan. We also decided to narrow his food choices down a bit, just in case it is one of those that is upsetting his tummy. I will let you know the results of the culture when I get them!

As a side note, we saw a horrible wreck right in front of the Pedi's office. Chris called 911 while I jumped out and stopped one of the ladies from getting up and walking around. The whole thing happened right in front of a Chiropractors office (Chris thought that was great) and the Chiropractor stopped the other lady from moving around. We talked later, after the emergency people took over. He was a nice guy. I'm not a fan of Chiropractors but I may keep him in mind if I have back problems with my next pregnancy like I did with Sam.

After being cleared by the Pedi, we continued with our plans to go camping with my family at Lake Martin in Alabama. This was Sam's first camping trip. I was really worried about it being too hot for him, but it stayed cloudy and cool the whole time. Sam swam in the lake and played with his aunt and uncle. He didn't sleep in the tent with Chris and I though, since we were still worried about it being too hot. He slept on his own queen size bed in my parent's air conditioned pop-up tent trailer. He saw ducks, watched the boats in the little lagoon right at our campsite, and took a hike in his back pack. Of course, everyone who saw him told us how adorable he was!

He had a great time camping, and then capped off a nice weekend by cutting another tooth! He cried and cried and cried last night. It was so horrible. Now I wonder if all the diarrhea and stomach upset from Friday had to do with the tooth. Add to that the fact that this 20 lb baby takes half a baby aspirin (when full grown adults take one whole baby aspirin), and I wonder if just a tiny upset may have caused his intestines to bleed a little. Who knows. I just hope the culture is clear!
~Kathy

No comments: