Friday, February 19, 2010

BUSY BUSY BUSY

I haven't updated in FOREVER...we've been quite busy.  Let's start from the top...

I had my last 'full time' day at my old job last week.  In a way it was sad...these people (who didn't really know me at the time) were there for me during my pregnancy and during Sam's struggles.  Not once did anyone question my need to go to appointment after appointment, or take random days off (and weeks off) to take care of Sam.  Everytime something came up with him, my co-workers quickly stepped in and picked up my slack.  On top of that, they made themselves available to be a moral support crew.  For all of this, I can never thank them enough.

After my last day, Chris, Sam, and I drove to Mobile for Mardi Gras.  Sam took the ride like a champ, and although he didn't make it to any parades because it was so cold, he did see his third snow storm!  Chris and I went to the Striper's and Crewe of Columbus balls and saw many many friends and family.  Sam got to hang out with both sides of the fam, and got to meet his future BFFs (my friend Catherine's kids).  Naturally Sam got a cold just before our trip.  While we were in Mobile, he started running a LOW temp, but since he NEVER runs a temp, we took him to an urgent care clinic.  OF COURSE he ends up with a double ear infection!  How do we go a full YEAR without an ear infection and then get two back to back?!  He (once again) didn't show us any signs with the exception of the fever...no pulling ears or grouchyness or anything!  All is well though, and his antibiotic is working fine.  All in all, a good weekend.

I started my two new jobs...one at the pediatric therapy clinic (The Speech Path) and one (just a PRN job) at Regency Hospital (a long term acute care facility).  I LOOOOOOVE my new peds job.  You just can't beat getting to play with cute kids all day.  It will be tough for a while, since outpatient is very different than what I have been used to.  But I expect that to smooth over quickly, and I already know I am going to love every second of it.

All my other CHD friends have made mention to this, so I feel compelled to spread the word:  Snowboarder Shaun White, who just won gold for the second time in the Halfpipe in the Winter Olympics, is a CHD survivor.  He was born with Tetrology of Fallot, and had two open heart surgeries before the age of one.  It's hard to explain, but all these many types of CHDs tend to blend into each other as far as their characteristics are concerned.  Sam has not been diagnosed with Tet, but he has pieces of this CHD.  In fact, it was a piece of this CHD that went undetected, and nearly killed him one year ago next month.  I can't tell you how uplifting it is to hear about the success of people like Shaun White.  To be told at one point that Sam wouldn't live past the age of three, and then to be able to dream that he can do ANYTHING (even win Gold in the olympics) is so comforting.  I don't expect Sam to be some type of fantastic athlete or anything (he DEFINITLY didn't get the genetics for that one), but to live a life with less of a burden related to his CHD would be such a blessing. 

On a totally unrelated note, Chris and I have signed up for a half marathon in April (Country Music Half in Nashville).  We're super excited.  We're also taking offers for someone to babysit Sam for that weekend!

~Kathy

2 comments:

Ali Lionberger said...

Boo on ear infections. Everyone's kid is getting them! Good luck with your half marathon! Nashville is a tough course! You're braver than I am. If same becomes an olympian i will be a huge fan because I become obsessed with the olympics every year they come on.

Anonymous said...

Nana and Pop-pop for the weekend ! : ) (if you still need a Sam sitter)..... Sam will have a bright future full of gold metal moments.