Wednesday, February 3, 2010

14 Month Birthday

PHOTOS: Sam on his 'birthday'...reclined on our king size, watching tv with remote in hand, cheetoes at his side, complete with shoes on the bed...

Sam's 14 month birthday was today. He's such a big boy. Sometimes it is hard to believe he has a life threatening condition; and at the same time it's hard to forget it. We have truly learned to live for 'today' but worries about the future are ever present. I got a great email today from a stranger that helped me. I am going to post it hoping that it helps my heart friends, as well as our own friends and family, gain some perspective on what Sam's future could be like. I hope Elaine doesn't mind!

"Good Evening: Just read your story about your little boy and I also have a child born with Tricuspid Atresia as well as Transposition of the Great Arteries. My son is now 17 1/2 years old and life is pretty good. He has had three surgeries, being the PA Banding, Glenn, and the Fontan. He is almost 6 feet tall and lives a normal life. He is graduating this year from grade 12 and even has a girlfriend. I remember when he was small I often wondered what his life would be like. He is an awesome skier and does sports moderately. Just thought I would drop you a note and let you know these kids live great lives."

~Elaine P. Saskatchewan, Canada

THANK YOU Elaine! Every 'success' story I hear gives me hope for Sam and these other sweet babies! Happy 14 month birthday sweet baby Sam!! Can't wait to share your successes with the world!

~Kathy
This is Sam's "DON'T TICKLE ME...ok please tickle me" face!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our sweet baby Sam ! You are such a big boy ! And you do bring so much joy and so much love to all of us. Happy 14 months bday....each day is such a special blessing to all of us when we see that smile. We all love you so much.
Nana and Pop-pop.

connie and adam said...

He is growing to be a little man. I bet he acts like a little man too. Happy 14 month birthday Sam.

Shannon said...

Happy 14 months Sam!! You're such a little man!

Kathy, thanks for sharing that email. I love, love, love the success stories! The heart world is filled with so many sad stories, but to hear the happy ones gives me a little pep in my step...a glimer of hope. It IS possible that our babies can be "normal." Thanks so much for sharing.

Enjoy that little man...looks like you've probably got your hands full already! Lol!

Big heart hugs and prayers,
Shannon

Lucky10 said...

Hi!
I came across your blog today. Happy 14 months to Sam, it sounds like he is doing well. I have a 2 year old daughter, Cassidy, who was born with Tetralogy of Fallot w/ PA & MAPCA’s.
I think blogs are a great way to get the word about about CHD’s and I commend you for what you’re doing.
My wife and I are also on a mission to spread the word about CHD’s. We just started a jewelry company called Lucky 10. All of our products are handmade and pertain to Heart Defects and the Heart Community in general. We can customize all of our pendants with names, dates, logo’s, photo’s, etc…
Please check out our site when you get a moment. If you could help us get the word out about our new business we would be very grateful. It’s a project that’s very dear to our hearts.
www.lucky10.etsy.com
Thanks so much and we look forward to reading more on your blog!
Thanks,
Vito Lisa

P.S. If you want to keep up with Cassidy’s journey here is her Carepage info:
www.carepages.com , Page name: cassidylisa