Saturday, June 14, 2008

New Diagnosis

One of the first things my doctor did was a full panel blood screen for all kinds of crazy stuff. I thought it was just to look for pregnancy related issues. But I got a call from her saying that they found that I have a form of Hypothyroidism. TOTALLY unrelated to pregnancy, apparently hypothyroidism is a condition of low thyroid hormone that causes low metabolism and low organ function. She put me on a pill that will level out that issue. She said it is something that I have probably had since I was a kid and would have the rest of my life. Joy. But obviously I was doing fine not knowing I had it in the first place. I know I won't notice this now, since I will be gaining weight steadily regardless thanks to baby, but I am curious if these pills will actually increase my metabolism. We shall see.

She did tell me everything else checked out fine on the blood screen. Apparently these new screens are sensitive enough to pick up warning signs of things like the trisomy conditions and cystic fibrosis. So we can at least be relatively sure we won't have to deal with those now!

~Kathy

No comments: