Sunday, August 8, 2010

Our Week Without Sam

We took our first trip to Mobile in FOREVER two weeks ago.  We drive down for a few reasons: to attend a baby shower for Chris's brother and his wife, to spend the weekend at a resort on Mobile Bay with Chris's family, and to leave Sam in Mobile for a week for his own personal vacation.

We had a super sweet baby shower for my brother-in-law and his wife who are expecting a baby girl.  It was a big Wimberly Family Event, meaning most of Mobile was there.  I brought Sam, since most of the people who were there were at my baby shower and haven't seen me or Sam since.  We had a great time, and Sam was pretty good.  He's still pretty shy.  I've resigned to Sam's low oxygen being the cause of his anxiety with strangers and new places.  We know anxiety is a common occurrence with heart kids, but I just assumed this was part of a normal kid's development.  But he just gets so upset with changes in environment and people that I have to give it another cause.  ANYWAY, it was a great shower...Bradley got some wonderful things, and I can't wait to see that baby's sweet face!

We also spent the weekend at the Grand Hotel in Point Clear, Alabama right on Mobile Bay.  There was no oil to be seen, the weather was great, the food was amazing, the pool was really fun...we had a great time.  Chris's two older sisters and their children were there, along with his parents and younger brother.  Sam got to hang out with his cousin who is just a few months older.  They are still in the solitary play phase, but had some pretty good interactions. 

Chris and I left to home to Macon, but lil Sam stayed in Mobile with my family.  He spent the week between my parent's house and Chris's parents house.  I feel fairly certain he didn't think about us much.  He had a great time...he went to the Explorium, went shopping with my mom and sister, hung out in the Wimberly's back yard with all 6 of his cousins.  Chris and I, on the other hand, got all kinds of things done.  We turned our attic into a new guest room/ office, went out for a fancy dinner and movie date, went shopping in Atlanta, and I attended a continuing education class.  I missed Sam, but I didn't have a hard time leaving him in Mobile because I knew he would be well cared for and would probably have much more fun there than here!

Since Sam has been back, he's been a pretty good boy.  He moved up to the next level class at school (older toddler room).  He went shopping with me for some new clothes...he's super tall, and has hit 30 lbs!  He has been talking in 'full sentences' for a while.  NOT that you could understand ANY of it...he just babbles to you like you're supposed to know what he's talking about.  But recently, I have actually started to understand some of it.  Today, he asked Chris "What are you doing".  He told my mom (over the phone), when asked where Relo was, that "he's outside".  Let's be clear...it is very difficult to understand what he's saying...but I assure you, he is truly saying these things.  He's so smart.  I love him.

~Kathy

4 comments:

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

Mama knows best when it comes to that sort of stuff..lol Go Sam! And what a big boy! Love the update. =)

Anonymous said...

Sam, Nana has been telling your mom that you have been talking for a long time.....it just took us a little longer to understand. Now it is all becoming very clear, you sweet little boy !
Love you.
Nana

The Fosters said...

You are not crazy Kathy...the more time you hear Sam-ese the more it makes since to you. I never understood why no one could get what Aaron was saying when he was a baby, it sounded perfectly clear to me. :)
Moms (and dads) know and if we don't know we get told real fast. ;)
Love and miss you guys...Tell Sam sorry we have been wearing Grand-Yaya out...I will get her to call/Skype ya soon. Hugs!!

Shannon said...

Sounds like you guys had some good fun! :) I know what you mean about the sentences...we can finally understand some of what Derrick says, but it's not so clear to people who aren't around him all the time. He sure can talk up a storm though!

Enjoy having your boy back...he sure is a cutie!