Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Pediatric PT

I started my journey to become a Physical Therapist when I was in grade school. I was a volunteer at one of our local hospitals. The last summer I volunteered, they assigned me to the outpatient pediatric therapy department. That was where I started to think about being a PT, although pediatrics was not necessarily the goal.

When I was in college, I got a job in a local outpatient clinic that treated people of all ages for all conditions. That job sealed the deal as far as me wanting to become a PT, and my boss and co-workers really helped me prepare for applying for and then getting though PT school. While at that clinic, I got my first exposure to kids and PT. One girl in particular, Krisanna, stood out to me. She had some pretty amazing deficits and hurdles to living a 'normal' life, but she was living it more than most people I know.

Once in PT school, I got very little hands on exposure to pediatric PT. What I did get, I loved. But pediatric PT isn't something you jump out of school and do. So I did the next best thing. I got a job at a facility with a heavy neuro population. And I have loved that job, and the people I work for and with. They have been there for me through everything with Sam, and I can't thank them enough.

But, last month, Krisanna passed away. I haven't seen her for a few years, but her bright spirit left its mark. While reflecting on her, and on our interactions, I made the decision to start a transition into pediatric therapy. Now, to be honest, my plan was to just take some peds classes and get some books in preparation for a FUTURE peds job. Providence had other plans.

About a week after I heard about Krisanna, I got a postcard in the mail from a pediatric speech clinic here in Macon. They were planning to expand their practice into physical therapy, and were looking for a PT. I felt like this happened for a reason. So I got an interview.

I loved the clinic, I loved the people, and I loved the position they wanted me to fill. I got the job.

Today, I turned in my letter resigning my full time position at my current facility. It was hard for me, and some of the reactions I got made it a little more difficult (a mix of happiness, tears, and shock). It is hard to find PTs in our area, and me leaving will make it hard on my co-workers for a while. But I just feel like this is serendipity...I feel led to this. And I don't usually talk like that. It is going to be hard at first, and I'll have to do a lot of research and studying over the next two months (the job will start February 15). But I feel fairly certain this was just meant to be.

Thanks, Krisanna.

~Kathy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on your new job! :)

Anonymous said...

And little Krisanna is smiling down from heaven, knowing that she led you to this next phase of your career. And I believe this is meant to be....the place you will find much happiness.
Love,
Mom
(that's Nana to Sam !)

Anonymous said...

Best Wishes on Lifes Journey taking a new twist. Good Luck!

Liza said...

Kathy! That's wonderful news! I'm so proud for you in taking this step. It's amazing all the difficult things we can do when we feel "lead" and there's something bigger prompting us along :) Good luck! I know you'll be great.

Shannon said...

I am so happy for you, Kathy!! I am planning on going straight into pediatrics after graduation in May. (hopefully in Baltimore!) You will be an amazing peds PT!! :)