Monday, March 9, 2009

Heart Cath Scheduled

The Sibley Heart Center at Egleston Hospital in Atlanta called today and we set up Sam's heart cath for Friday, March 20. They will call us with instructions for the cath the day before. I think I'm far more nervous about how to keep a little baby from eating for hours and hours before the procedure than I am about the procedure itself. The hospital does 8000 heart caths on babies every year. We're in good hands.

This past Sunday morning, Sam was fussy and was (for the first time) notably blue all over...arms, legs, belly, face...everything. We checked his O2 and it was where it usually is, between 68-76. I think I am more aware of his color now that he is in day care and I can compare him to other babies. It's a little scary to see him so blue but at the same time he is eating fine, smiling, and showing no other signs of heart failure so we are good for now. Besides, we will be in surgery in just a few short weeks and when it is all said and done, he'll be just as pink as his buddies at 'school' and will have a much more normal O2 number. We can stick it out.

~Kathy

1 comment:

Helen Moore said...

Hi Kathy,

I spoke with you months ago about my little girl, Grace. I have been keeping up with you guys and it sounds like things are going well for Sam. We are going to just miss you guys in Atlanta. We will be at CHOA Wed. and Thurs. I would love for you guys to meet Grace. Grace has had 7 heart caths and the doctors there are wonderful! You guys will be in very good hands, as you posted. The not eating is tough, Grace gets pretty grouchy... and she doesn't even like to eat! Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you guys. We'll be praying for Sam.

Love, Helen Moore