Saturday, January 31, 2009

Something's Working

It has been over a week since we started Sam on Prevacid and Nutramigen to help stop his 'colic.' At first it didn't seem to be working at all. The only thing that did change was that he was able to sleep for longer chunks of time at night, which I attribute to the Prevacid decreasing his reflux. But he still cried A LOT and was an absolute kill joy between 6pm and midnight. Following the advice of my sister-in-law and our neighbor, we bought a vibrating bouncy seat. The first night we had it, I was surprised to see that it actually did help. He seems soothed to some extent. It doesn't last forever, but he can sit in it for a while and at least give us some quiet time to eat! But he was still crying at night more than I think is normal.

So I found this stuff called Gripe Water. It's supposed to be a herbal supplement that soothes stomach discomfort and claims to also decrease hiccups (which Sam has in abundance). I tried it for the first time last night and we actually had a really nice, quiet night! I thought maybe it was just a coincidence, but we used it again tonight and had the same results!!! So, somewhere between the Prevacid, Nutramigen, vibrating bouncy seat, and Gripe Water, it appears we have taken Sam from unbearable at night to a sweet angel baby! (Knock on wood) AND as a bonus, Chris and I are getting much more sleep!

Let's hope it lasts!!

~Kathy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just came across your blog from Morgan's, and I wanted to say Gripe Water was our best friend for the first 3 months!! It would stop hiccups almost instantly and calmed him down every time we gave it to him! We always had at least two bottles and never went anywhere without it!